Why Should I Apply for Camp Staff?
Here are a few of the countless reasons that are frequently expressed:
- To make lots of new friends in your area, other states, and even other countries
- To spend a summer in the great outdoors where nature prevails
- To acquire experiential education (learning by doing) and new skills that will last a lifetime
- To be part of an effective team and to cooperate with others to get things done
- To learn how to lead others and to apply leadership skills
- To undertake and fulfill meaningful challenges and to earn the satisfaction of doing a job well
- To work with youth and adults of all ages
- To serve others (the most noble and fulfilling pursuit of all)
- To give something back for the opportunities you have received
- To live in a wholesome environment based on the Scout Oath and Scout Law
- To have the advice, counsel, and support of senior staff who are dedicated to helping you succeed
- To be paid and receive food and lodging in return for something challenging and fun
- To be considered for jobs of greater responsibility and to receive letters of recommendation for other pursuits
Why work at a fast food or retail establishment that focuses on sales when you can have opportunities like these that will prepare you for more meaningful endeavors?
SUMMER CAMP STAFF…A JOB WITH CHARACTER!
Age & Other Requirements
Due to federal and state employment laws and BSA National Camp Standards, there are minimum ages for applicants:
Age 14 by June 1: can only serve as volunteer (unpaid) counselor-in-training. This is a 2-week position.
Age 15 by June 1: can serve in any camp as a full time, paid staff in one of many positions.
Age 18 by June 1: can serve in any camp as a full time, paid staff in one of many positions, including management positions with a minimum age of 18 such as bb-gun director, archery director, health officer, commissioner, ecology/conservation director, and others.
Age 21 by June 1: can serve in any camp as a full time, paid staff in one of many positions, including management positions with a minimum age of 21 such as program director, head cook, aquatics director, shooting sports director, climbing director, and others.
Upon being hired, all summer camp staff, whether volunteer or paid, must be a member of the Boy Scouts of America. Applicants over age 18 must apply as an adult and successfully pass a criminal background check.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Southern Sierra Council is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the policies of the Boy Scouts of America, the rules for acceptance and participation in the camp programs are the same for everyone without regard to race, creed, color, gender, national origin, or physical disability.
Camp Staff Application 2021 Fillable
Unfortunately due to the 2020 Creek Fire we are not accepting applications for the 2021 Season.